Saturday, January 17, 2004

I don't know how many of you would have eventually stumbled upon this yourselves (it is Lutheran), but in case you have not, here is the History of the Lutheran Church in Great Britain. This document comes from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of England (ELCE) and is in full altar and pulpit fellowship with the LCMS. I know this because one of my cousins was in London for a semester in an exchange program and had to find a church. I am not sure where in London he worshiped, but I know if I ever vacation in England, I'll have a place to go.

I have something of an addiction to British comedy. This goes beyond Monty Python (BTW, I finally bought the DVD for The Meaning of Life) and into the realms of shows like Black Adder and Absolutely Fabulous or Are You Being Served. (I am linking to Amazon mainly to show everyone what I am talking about in case you've never seen these shows. I could care less if you actually buy them.) There is just something unique about these comedies that make them enduring to me. I can still pop in my Black Adder tapes and laugh just like I'm watching them for the first time. I believe, partly, it is because a television series might only have a six or eight show season and, thus, the writing is not diluted like it is on many American shows. This seems to produce much higher quality shows overall.

My pastor pointed out something last Sunday that I am now just getting around to exploring. In the Westminster Confession, the first article is Of the Holy Scripture, and the article goes on to tell us which books are part of the Bible and which are not. Compare this to the Augsburg Confession whose first article is Of God. If you look through the rest of the Book of Concord, you will not find one definition on what Scripture is. The closest thing I have in my library is Chemnitz's Enchiridion, and he lists the apocryphal books as well. (He lists them as apocryphal, but he lists them.) Lutherans have never officially defined what the Bible is! Thus, if a Lutheran Church or Synod defines what is in the Bible as its first article, you can immediately tell the church has been infected by Calvinism. Cool, huh?

No comments: