Sunday, January 25, 2004

As someone who does believe the sermon is very important, reading a sermon by the presiding bishop of the ECUSA, Frank Griswald, is like, well, you take a look. If you ever need an example of gospel reductionism, this is it. At least as far as what I could pull out of it. The words "mindless psycobable" came to mind much of the time while I was reading. If any Lutheran pastor ever preached like this, I would probably shoot myself in protest.

I am currently listening to Felix Mendelsohn's Symphony #5 in D minor (Reformation). The last movement, especially, should warm any true Lutheran's heart. It is a theme and variation on Ein Feste Burg. I should revise that; it is a beautifully done theme and variation on Ein Feste Burg. If you read the biography, the man is extremely important in my mind. First, he was almost single-handedly responsible for reviving Bach. Secondly, the man taught and died in Lezpig. Why is this important to me? You tell me. Needless to say, Mendelsohn is also known for writing the most pagan of songs, The Wedding March. The irony of it is, Mendelsohn was Lutheran! Then again, I'm the one who would love to have Mache dict, mein Herze, rein in my wedding (whenever that happens).

Martin Chemnitz' Summary of the Holy Trinity from 1591. The Second Martin describes the doctrine of the Trinity.

The thought of me describing why light beer is evil still looms heavy...

No comments: