Thursday, June 17, 2004

I often don't talk about it much, but I do have a love for Jazz. My collection isn't anywhere near as big as my classical collection or do I know anywhere near as much about jazz as I do classical, but I have listened to jazz longer than I have classical. My listening is just much more sporadic. Right now, I'm listening to the sax styling of John Coltrane. Jazz is such a break from everything I've listened to recently. It's nice to hear some excellent musicians playing American music. Jazz is the only style of music that can actually claim to be purely American and, quite unfortunately, popular everywhere else but America. Most Jazz musicians have more talent than many of the people who end up making all the money in music. Jazz, like classical, takes a lot of energy to enjoy. Jazz, however, seems to be a little more accessible to the little guy. Because of the improvisation involved, every time a piece is performed by a performer, you'll get a different performance. The song never sounds quite the same.

No comments: