Wednesday, June 15, 2005

You all are wondering how I lost all the weight I lost. I'm not going to say it was easy and that I wanted to quit at times, but I found a few things I learned along the way very helpful. This is just some random thoughts about some of the things that worked for me. I cannot guarantee they will work for you, but they might give you some idea of where to start. Let's face it, Weight Watchers and all the other fad diets can work for a bit, but losing weight does involve lifestyle changes, and you have to be committed to these if you want to make it.

First, I advise you to start slowly. Don't go out there thinking that you will just do everything and think you'll have any chance of staying on your diet. You didn't get where you are at once, so you have to change slowly.

Secondly, if you join a health club (like the Y), see if you can meet with a personal trainer. You can talk to them and adjust your workout according to whatever your fitness level is and safely add to your workout. Face it: you will have to exercise.

Thirdly, that fast food has to go. You cannot expect to lose weight when you are shoving Big Macs and Chalupas down your piehole. Cut out the fast food and you'll be surprised.

Fourth, quit drinking anything loaded with sugar. Go to either diet sodas or diet juices. This even included beer. I drank scotch while dieting.

Fifth, no more potatoes and white bread. Yes, I know they taste so good. Yes, I know you cannot believe you can live without it. Yes, you might as well pour a big bag of sugar down your throat. My goal was to eliminate sugar, and starch isn't the right way to do it.

Sixth, greens, nuts, fruits, vegies, and fish are your friends.

Finally, remember the basic rule: you will lose weight if you burn more calories than you take in. In the end, it is that simple. Exercise boosts your metabolism so you burn more calories. You all are probably going duhhh. Exercise and eat right, you'll be OK.

No comments: