Thursday, June 23, 2005

So I have been tagged by Pensy and given very specific instructions as to what I am supposed to post about. I am supposed to post about books highschoolers should read. I am Random Daniel. I am not some run of the mill blogger who will just be put on a leash through my nosering, so I am making up my own list of important books everyone should read.

Carbonate Depositional Environments. This was the text for my carbonate sedimentology class. A page turner for all people.

Carbonate Sequence Stratigraphy. You have to know why these sediments matter when they turn into limestones and dolomites. You also have to know why these depositional patterns might be prolific oil producers.

North American Stratigraphic Code. How the Goat Seep Formation (and yes, that is a real formation name) can be names that.

Carbonate Petrography. How to recognize carbonate facies under a microscope.

Sandstone Depositional Environments. You sometimes have to get your hands dirty and actually touch sand and other siliciclastics. This book tells you how they get deposited so you can avoid them (unless they have oil or gas).

The Geology of Stratigraphic Sequences. This is a critical look at sequence stratigraphy and its usefulness.

Riders of the Purple Sage. Quite possibly the best Western ever. It has Mormons, guns, and mountains. What else could a man want?

Shane. The Western as Literature. This is the only western considered worthy of a critical edition.

The Haunted Mesa. Navajo beliefs make up this extremely interesting novel. Not a western in the truest sense, it still makes good reading.

On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518. You didn't think I wouldn't put a theology book down, did you.

OK, I tag Chris Halverson (I'm willing to let the ELCA have a little bit of fun), Full Throttle & an Empty Gas Tank, and The Terrible Swede. The only rule is that you have to post books. How many and about what is up to you. I don't even care if you've even read the books.

Have fun.

No comments: