Saturday, May 21, 2005

I'm finally getting around to adding a sitemeter. I've had this blog for over 2 years now and I am just getting a sitemeter. I really don't care how many people come and look at my blog, but there is a curiosity there to see what kind of traffic this blog is pulling in and how many "silent readers" I have out there. Blogs are kind of like talk radio: only a small fraction of the people actually listening to talk radio call in. Only a small fraction of the people reading my blog are bothering to comment I am sure. Now, at least, I'll know exactly how many people visit each day.

I was recently a message board I frequent and the topic came up in the theology section about the mark of the beast. What is the mark of the beast? I think the fact that they are even asking a question like that brings up multiple concerns. First, I have to wonder about how these people interpret apocalyptic literature in the Bible. Secondly, you wonder if these people are able to interpret the rest of the Bible because this question betrays an inability to keep Christ central in their lives. Finally, it shows a lack of faith because these people believe the beast is coming and they want to avoid the mark, seemingly unable to realize that clinging to Christ will be enough to protect them from the mark, if that is even a future reference. What amazes me is how faulty Christologies end up leading into all sorts of errors. Through just discussing with these people and what they believe, I have figured this out. Of course, there are many people who are probably reading this saying, "It's about time you figured it out!" I thought about this today, and there isn't one heresy I can think of that doesn't start out with a false sense of who Christ is. There may be some out there, but you get my point. Christology is central to the faith and if you get it wrong, there is a lot that can go wrong.

No comments: